Thursday, September 18, 2008

Unpacking My Baggage, Part 1

I grew up in a family that was as nuclear as it gets. I had a mom, a dad, an older brother and a younger sister. We did everything together, as a family. We ate dinner together every night (each with our own assigned seats). We kids participated in the same activities (Like band. Don't laugh.), and our parents were involved in those activities too. (Mom was president of the Band Boosters Club. Again, don't laugh.) 

We had so much fun together. Our nightly dinners usually involved lots of laughter. My father, brother and sister are real comedians, so there was never a dull moment. On weekends, my mother would find fun, inexpensive things for us to do as a family. Twice a year, we took family road trips to the east coast. 

Good things always just happened to our family. We had some snafus every once in a while, of course, but for the most part, we were well-behaved kids with two parents who loved us and loved each other. People used to call us the Brady Bunch. Like we were too good to be true.

My parents appeared to have a good marriage. They were affectionate with each other, and as we kids grew older and more independent, they started to build their own little life apart from us. They went on dates and took swing-dance lessons. On Friday nights they'd hang out with one of their many couple friends. Life was good.

So that's why, when they divorced this past year, the world as I knew it was swept up from under my feet.

Now that I'm older and know more of the story, I can see where some of the pitfalls were, all those years. I can see how tiny little molehills eventually turned into mighty mountains. I know that my parents never fought in front of us—never gave us any warning—because they wanted to protect us. And I know that, even though they told us over and over again that "divorce is not an option," it became one, simply because it just got to the point where it needed to be.

When I think back to the memories I have of our family during "the good ol' days," there's one that sticks out in my mind the most. We were in the kitchen, teasing Dad because he had this habit of leaving the cabinet doors open. We were all laughing hysterically about it, and then Dad came up behind Mom, wrapped his arms around her and kissed her on the neck. My siblings and I were horrified by this gesture of course, throwing out trash talk like, "Gross!", "Eww!", "Get a room!"

What I would give now, for my parents to be hugging and kissing in a kitchen full of open cabinet doors.

When you grow up in a household that has such a solid foundation, and when that foundation starts to give way and eventually crumbles into a million pieces... well, it can be a mess. So you clean up and build a new foundation. But you may not trust that new foundation very much. After all, you thought the old one was sturdy but it wasn't, so what's going to happen with this new one?

I'll stop speaking in metaphors now, but surely you can understand why I'm so conflicted about this whole love-and-marriage thing. I want it more than anything, but am afraid that it will someday go away like my parents' did. 



3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Stories like this (a seemingly perfect marriage gone bad) are always tough to hear. And I can't imagine how jaded and betrayed you must feel about marriage. As you know, I truly feel that I'm in a "forever" marriage, but I suppose that your parents felt that way, too. For what it's worth, both my husband and I are the products of "forever" marriages (his parents are going on 45 years, and my parents just celebrated 59 years!), so those lifelong love affairs DO happen, and I can't wait to celebrate MY 59th anniversary some day---only 40 years to go!

CDH said...

Oh, Juliet. I'm very sorry to hear that. I can sooo relate. On My parents divorced when I was 9.

Somehow, I managed to cling to the hope that I could have a different outcome - the one that ends in a fiftieth wedding anniversary. I certainly went through times when I didn't think marriage was worth the risk. But, in the back of my mind I knew that I deeply wanted a solid marriage and a healthy family of my own. When the right guy came into my life, I knew I wanted to be married and I knew it would work. We joked about playing Stevie Wonder's version of "We Can Work It Out" as we left the church. I wasn't 100% sure that everyone would get our sense of humor, so I nixed the plan. (;

Satan will always be there reminding you of how badly the odds are stacked against you. You have to keep reminding him that your /relationship/marriage is not your parent's.

What if the man God has for you has similar "parent's marriage baggage?" It seems like you could have a sort of super-strength as a couple.

Don't lose heart.

Anonymous said...

How do we teach our kids the balance that parents must find when it comes to marraige? The constant give and take and compromise that engulfs us. That marraige is something that is not perfect? How do you teach your children both sides of it? The good and the bad? Of course, you want to sheild them from the reality that marraige is a work in a progress and that parents are not perfect!