Monday, September 29, 2008

My Latest Obsession(s)

Today begins the third and final week of the Scarcity Myth Experiment, which means I now have to look at, smile and say hello (or "hey!" or "what up?" or "which way to the weight room?", etc.) to someone I find attractive. I must say, now that I'm at this point, I'm a little nervous! It does take a lot of guts to talk to someone you don't know—and whose wife or girlfriend could potentially be lingering around the corner. But I'm determined to try it, merely for curiosity's sake. But not for anything else's sake. I wouldn't go behind curiosity's back like that—it's been good to me.

Also, I saw another movie tonight that I have to recommend to anyone who has a pulse. It's an independent film called Bella. I chose to rent this film because: 
a) Several people told me I should;
b) I kinda have a thing for the name Bella; and
c) This is the lead actor...


Need I say more?

I needn't, but I will.

I was pleasantly surprised to find that the film is even more beautiful than Eduardo Verástegui is. It's not really a story of romantic love, although there are glimpses of that. It's more a story of how a broken soul finds healing, and how even the most unlikely people in your life can provide just the support you need to find said healing. And the best thing about it? Every single second of this film could have been real life. I'm amazed at how the writers, director and cast were able to give the viewer such an honest, vulnerable and beautiful glimpse of reality as we know it. 

Just a warning: You're probably going to cry at some point while watching this film. (Even you macho men out there may shed a tear). And if you're a parent? Just grab tissues now. That's all I'm sayin'. 

If any of you have seen Bella, I'd love to hear your thoughts about it. In the meantime, I will be dreaming of Eduardo...




3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Absolutely fabulous movie, I watched it with my wife a few months back. A movie about the sanctity of life, that in itself sold it to me, but I thought the acting was brilliant the story was great, and I was skeptical to start with.

Anonymous said...

I would recommend that you kill two birds with one stone: Why don't you approach Eduardo Verástegui, look him in the eye, and say "hi"?

And I will definitely check out Bella. I finished The Namesake last night, and it was very beautiful in a visual sense. Almost as good as the book.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.