Sunday, October 26, 2008

ODE update, 'n stuff

Well, it's been one week since I began my Online Dating Experiment (ODE). I've received winks and emails from other Matchos (my new term for the guys on Match.com) on a daily basis, and I still don't quite know what to do with all of that. 

I like analyzing the emails. Some of the guys are pretty creative and ask questions as if they really are interested in me. And others seem to have a more "blanket" email, something along the lines of "I like your profile, I would like to get to know you better, I am a boring person who can't think of anything clever to say, blah blah blah." 

And then there are the creepies. I've only received one so far. It was from a guy who had a very minimal profile (no photo or anything), and the message simply said, "Saw 5." I'm hoping that he accidentally sent the message before he finished typing the rest of the sentence. ("Saw 5 typos in your profile," perhaps? Nah, not even possible.) I'm really hoping that he was not referring to the movie Saw 5. I haven't even seen that flick but it looks like the kind that would make me pee my pants in fear. And I can't figure out why he would write that in a message to me. Can anyone who has seen that film shed some light? 

Speaking of light, I think I'm going to sleep with all of them on tonight. Yech.

The thing is, creepy, creative or boring, I can't seem to write ANY of them back. It just feels so empty, communicating with strangers in that way. I don't even know what to say to them because I have no connection to them whatsoever. 

Ugh, I want to like ODE. I really do. Maybe I should go on a date with one of the Matchos, just so I can experience the whole spectrum of the online dating scene, and then I'll be done with it. Or maybe the in-person meeting will actually convert me into an online dating aficionado. I doubt it. But I'm keeping an open mind. (But I doubt it.)

But enough about that silliness. Now onto some items of bizness, y'all...

1) If you have a Twitter account—you are awesome, first of all. Also, I would like to follow you. And if you can stand to hear my wacky thoughts throughout the day, you can follow me here. (My Twitter name is julietseeks). I aim to entertain, but I'll let you be the judge.

2) Most of my posts this past week have (coincidentally) ended with me asking for feedback from you folks. I was feeling especially inquisitive, I guess. But I'd like to say a big Thank You to those of you who offered your thoughts and opinions. In the short time I've been writing this blog, I've learned a lot from you crazy kids. Keep the comment love comin'!

3) If you're looking for a good laugh, you might want to read this blog later this week. That's all I'm sayin'.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

"Speaking of light, I think I'm going to sleep with all of them on tonight. Yech."

I had to read that sentence several times before I figured out that you were sleeping with all the lights on. For some reason I thought you meant you would be sleeping with all the matchos...