Wednesday, October 29, 2008

The Almighty Set-Up


There's this woman at work who's always trying to set me up with someone. Whenever I walk by her desk, which is often, she'll say something like, "You know who would be perfect for you? My cousin's neighbor's best friend's brother." Or worse, "What about that guy in advertising?" It's okay when she's talking about some stranger twice removed, but when she brings it in-house it just gets awkward.

For years, people have been trying to set me up with some great guy they know. And I have mixed feelings about that. First of all, it rarely turns into anything. And when it doesn't work out, my friendship with the matchmaker inevitably becomes a little strained.

One time, a few years ago, a different co-worker tried to set me up with her best guy friend. We went on a date, and it just wasn't flowin' for me. And to make things worse, he gave me this really cheesy line. Actually, it would have been a pretty cool line, except I happened to know that it was quoted directly from an episode of The Cosby Show circa 1990. I wanted so badly to say, "Dude, that line sooo isn't yours.... oh, and The Cosby Show? Really? I mean I love that show but if you're gonna steal a line, shouldn't it be from something studly and sexy like Jerry Maguire or a Prince song or something?" At least he was somewhat original, in that he is probably the only man on the planet who got a good love line from Bill Cosby.

After that date, I had to break the news to my friend the matchmaker that I wasn't interested in her friend. And it felt like I was breaking up with her. She looked totally bummed. And I can see why. After all, I was basically telling her that her judgment was off, that her taste was not as great as she thought it was.

But I think the main reason why set-ups rarely work is because it's so forced. The two people get together knowing they're only there based on the opinion of a mutual friend, which automatically takes away that glorious experience of Random Chance Encounter. (Kind of like online dating—ha!)

I've never been a matchmaker myself. Which is why I actually really admire those people who do take great joy in pairing people up. What an unselfish thing to do, ya know? The fact that my current co-worker thought of me when she met her cousin's neighbor's best friend's brother is solid proof that she is others-focused. Which is another reason why I don't want to hurt her feelings if any of her suggestions don't work out. It was so nice of her to think of me in the first place—how could I possibly let her down?

I have had one successful relationship as a result of a set-up (from yet another co-worker, I just realized; I'm sensing a pattern here...). Well, it was successful in that it lasted for five months, which isn't all that long but it's a lot longer than one date.

Are any of you in a relationship now that is the product of some good matchmakin'? Tell me about it.

3 comments:

Because music chooses you... said...

Yes. My friend Dave set me up with this very slim, very elegant beauty. When I first walked through the door, my eyes went up and down the frame.

Everything about the relationship has been fast, fast, fast. We've been to Indiana, Michigan, and even spent a week in California together. We actually spent hundreds of hours together this summer.

Of course, Dave my bike dealer. And my "one true love" is a Trek 5.2 Madone carbon racing bike.

I may be the only one to laugh at this, but I'm laughing pretty loud right now.

Anonymous said...

I was laughing. That was really funny.

Anonymous said...

Well played BMCY, well played. I've unfortunately been on one of the sour ends of your match-ups. It seems that the wife and I were a little off in our suggestion. And, we are still sorry about that.

It's funny though, people almost feel like you are wasting time. You're young, beautiful, smart, successful, it's a shame not to have a boyfriend/husband. I better find someone for you soon so that you can feel complete!

What if it was okay to be single? What if you could just be happy for a while like this?