Monday, October 13, 2008

Virtual Insanity

A few weeks ago, I met a friend of a friend. This girl was the kind that every woman wants to hate but just can't seem to muster up the jealousy because she's so darn nice. She's also cool, very intelligent and drop-dead gorgeous.

So when she told me that she had met her long-time boyfriend (who also sounds like quite a catch) on the Internet, I was floored. For some reason, I've always believed that online dating either a) doesn't work, or b) works only for weird people. So to hear that it worked for two seemingly not-weird people, and has resulted in a relationship that's lasted for several years? I'm beginning to feel my closed mind open up a bit. I hate when it does that.

I've never participated in online dating myself. A few of my friends have encouraged me to give it a shot, but to me that just means accepting total desperation. Hello, I'm a single white female who can't for the life of me find a guy in the real world, so I'm going to sit in front of a tiny screen and hope THAT does the trick.

I believe that when you find someone it should just happen; you shouldn't go looking for it in such an obvious way... nor fill out an application in order to do so. Plus, I've seen some of my friends go through some crazy online dating disasters. In fact, I might just dedicate one whole post to these disasters, because they're kinda funny. Ahem, I mean, tragic. Totally tragic.

But it did work for my new friend, who is clearly not the desperate type. Maybe I've been wrong about online dating after all. But instead of making up my own mind, I'm going to let you do it for me, in the form of another poll...  Online dating: yay or nay?

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nay.

Anonymous said...

yay.

seriously. It's different. I've been doing the online dating thing here and there for awhile. I've had my fair share of stories, but for the most part I've met some really cool people that are now just friends.

I was about to give up, and the jury's still out but I finally found one that has potential.

If nothing else, it will get you out of the house every once in awhile adn get to be an adult and not a mom. I love being a mom, but sometimes I need to know that I'm not JUST a mom.

Anonymous said...

I say yay....why not? You'll come out with a few stories, a few nights out and most of all you'll learn from the experience....

Anonymous said...

Nay.

I can never prescribe to a dating system that eliminates chance for mathematical function. In all things, there is nothing greater than life's random and unexpected encounters.

Anonymous said...

nay

Anonymous said...

yay.

I am a member of the tragic club. Yet I still find the positive in it. I'll probably give it a whirl again at some point in my life... Get excited cyber boyz!

Because music chooses you... said...

I am probably the only person responding who's been whored out by their employer to one of these services in exchange for advertising dollars.