Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Because I just LOVE experiments

Well, the online dating poll was a tight race all day, until the final comment took the lead for the "yay" team. 

Interesting responses. The people who explained the reason behind their votes (and some did so offline) were each quite convincing. The nay-sayers were especially passionate, which makes sense if you think about it. They prefer passion, chance, kismet over formulas and automated searches. I prefer the former as well, but look where that's gotten me so far. 

So here's what I'm thinking. I'd say it's time for another experiment, wouldn't you? So I'm going to start an online dating profile on Match.com or eHarmony.com or I'mDesperate.com or whatever, and I'll periodically document my experiences and evaluations here. 

(What am I getting myself into? Don't ever say I'm not dedicated to the purposes of this blog. Oh my.)

Stay tuned...

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh yay! Although I'm a solid nay, I'm interested. I think you should try eharmony. I'm intrigued by the 39 (or however many) levels of compatibility they have.

I hear that some of the forms you have to fill out can be long. SOMEONE I know told me that he started to fill out a form "just to see," but gave up in the middle because of the length. I'm sure that's not unusual for him though, but to be very scientific in your experiment, you should time how long it takes you to fill out the form!

Anonymous said...

I also have a friend who has tried eharmony and also quit in the middle b/c of the length of questions etc. It seems that everyone and their brother was on match.com (co-workers, friends), so that wasn't a good option either. She has had the most luck with plentyoffish.com.....maybe try that?

Anonymous said...

Use the Craiglist and then watch "In Search of a Midnight Kiss." Trailer here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=50r7VKl1pN8&feature=related

I'm Cas. said...

About a year ago a friend of mine was feeling a little low and decided to try to set up an eharmony profile to make herself feel better.

She got rejected.

Ever since then I've debated whether eharmony is evil or if my friend is a whackjob that shouldn't be allowed to e-date.

Also, I don't like the fact that it's "eharmony," not "e-harmony."

Relevant? Not really. Just thought I'd share. :)

Heather {Desperately Seeking Sanity} said...

I like match.com. eharmony is okay unless you live in a small town. Because it's more expensive, there aren't many to chose from locally. There is plentyoffish.com which is totally free however you have to weed through a few nut jobs to find the good ones because it's free.

i can't wait to see what you're up to. i met the current boy on match.com so far so good.

Anonymous said...

you have to PAY for those websites????